- RSS Channel Showcase 2628257
- RSS Channel Showcase 5356882
- RSS Channel Showcase 4557468
- RSS Channel Showcase 8821568
Articles on this Page
- 07/23/15--15:17: _BFA Co-Chair statem...
- 10/03/15--15:54: _We ask Governor Bro...
- 02/12/16--19:10: _Celeste Langan’s an...
- 02/18/16--19:22: _“Proposed pension l...
- 03/19/16--17:44: _BFA Call for Senate...
- 03/28/16--18:06: _Feminist Statement ...
- 06/30/16--19:22: _Enough is Enough: P...
- 07/04/16--22:43: _Response to Chancel...
- 10/04/16--09:11: _Statement of Princi...
- 11/18/16--06:48: _Berkeley Campus Pet...
- 01/17/17--16:40: _BFA Feb. 1 Event: T...
- 01/24/17--20:19: _The $48 fix: Reclai...
- 02/16/17--08:00: _Video of the “Futur...
- 07/03/17--12:52: _UC Berkeley transi...
- 08/30/17--08:52: _Privatization incre...
- 09/11/17--07:44: _To the UC Berkeley ...
- 09/11/17--07:52: _Letter to BFA Membe...
- 09/26/17--11:21: _BFA board op-ed in ...
- 11/15/17--00:11: _Concern over impact...
- 07/23/15--15:17: BFA Co-Chair statement to UC Regents about new UCRS tier
- 10/03/15--15:54: We ask Governor Brown to sign SB-376
- 02/18/16--19:22: “Proposed pension limits will lead to UC’s decline” by James Vernon
- 03/28/16--18:06: Feminist Statement on Sexual Harassment at UC Berkeley
- 07/03/17--12:52: UC Berkeley transitions from spiralist to loyalist
- 09/11/17--07:44: To the UC Berkeley Undocumented Student Community:
- 09/11/17--07:52: Letter to BFA Members Concerning DACA Students
- 11/15/17--00:11: Concern over impacts of proposed federal tax changes
BFA Co-Chair Professor Celeste Langan spoke on behalf of the UC Faculty Associations at the July 22, 2015 UC Regents meeting during the public comment period. Below is a copy of her full statement: As co-Chair of the Berkeley Faculty … Continue reading
Dear Governor Brown, As faculty of the University of California, we are writing to urge you to sign bill SB-376, requiring the University of California compensate its subcontracted workers at the same level as those who are hired directly, that … Continue reading
For an analysis of the proposals, see Celeste Langan, “Retirement plan impacts entire community” http://www.dailycal.org/2016/02/12/343390/ CUCFA Supports the UC Academic Senate Resolution Rejecting the “2016 Tier Pension Plan” On February 10, 2016, the Assembly of the Academic Senate of the … Continue reading
Despite decades of declining state funding and rising enrollments, the University of California has continued to deliver the highest quality of education for Californians. It was not the genius of its overpaid senior administrators that made this possible. It was … Continue reading
The BFA Board has initiated a special meeting of the Academic Senate to discuss administrative failures and procedural obstacles in addressing sexual harassment on campus, to be held April 7. Dear Chair Powell, Under Division Bylaw 5.B, we formally petition … Continue reading
March 28, 2016 As feminist faculty at UC Berkeley, we are gravely disturbed by the failures of our Administration to address sexual harassment as a fundamental violation of civil rights. This year’s gross mishandling of the Marcy, Fleming and Choudhry … Continue reading
Dear faculty colleagues, The BFA has written the letter below calling on Chancellor Dirks to suspend the renewal of Coach Harrington’s contract, pending further investigation by a truly independent inquiry. One player died, another was knocked out unconscious. This is … Continue reading
Below is the BFA response to Chancellor Dirk’s Letter. You can sign the petition to withdraw the contract of Coach Harrington, pending further investigation and post comments here. Further documents can be found below the following letter. Dear Chancellor Dirks, … Continue reading
The tide is turning: there is growing consensus, across political lines, about the imperative of reinvesting in public infrastructure and public education. In no other way is it possible to improve the quality of our public education system and recover its promise of equal opportunity for students and research in the public interest. Continue reading
Given the new political situation, now, more than ever, it is imperative that the Berkeley campus partake in choosing a chancellor who will lead in an inclusive way, defending all its members, especially the more vulnerable, against threats from outside. Continue reading
THE BERKELEY FACULTY ASSOCIATION presents THE FUTURE OF THE PUBLIC UNIVERSITY Christopher Newfield, in Conversation with Carol Christ Sibley Auditorium, 2-4 pm, February 1, 2017. Open to all. The public university is facing unprecedented challenges: mounting … Continue reading
On Thursday, January 26, 2017, the UC Regents will consider and likely approve their budget for the University of California for 2017-2018. Like the Governor’s budget, to which it is closely tied, the budget perpetuates decades of failed privatization and … Continue reading
The UC Berkeley Faculty Association Presents: Professor Christopher Newfield, UC Santa Barbara, speaking on The future of the public University. His February 1, 2017, talk is based on his recent book “The Great Mistake: How We Wrecked Public Universities and … Continue reading
Daily Cal Op-ed, July 3, 2017 UC Berkeley transitions from spiralist to loyalist By, Michael Burawoy and Celeste Langan On the announcement of Carol Christ’s appointment to Chancellor, a Berkeley alum wrote: “I took courses in Medieval Literature from her … Continue reading
Daily Cal Online August 29, 2017 Op-ed by Michael Burawoy | Special to the Daily Cal Privatization increases inequality and reduces the quality of education The rhetoric of access and excellence should not hide the exploding inequality within UC Berkeley … Continue reading
As the Board of the Berkeley Faculty Association (BFA) we write to you to declare our unequivocal opposition to the Trump Administration’s decision to rescind the DACA program. We denounce the Administration’s stated reasons for ending the program and the … Continue reading
RE: Support for Undocumented Students Dear Colleagues, Last week an emergency session of the UCB Standing Committee on Undocumented Students was convened. The committee is comprised of faculty, students, and staff and serves as a platform to discuss avenues of … Continue reading
An op-ed authored by the BFA board appeared in the September 26 issue of the Daily Californian, under the title “Campus must be defended against hostile private interests.” Here is an excerpt: From a public relations perspective, accepting the … Continue reading
November 15, 2017 TO: Lisa Alvarez-Cohen, Senate Chair; Whendee Silver, Chair of graduate Council FROM: Michael Burawoy, Chair, Berkeley Faculty Association The BFA writes with great concern for the potential impacts on our graduate school that would come from passage of the Federal Tax Bill with its provision to count graduate student tuition waivers as […]